learningCloud (Multi-language): Manage translations
Once the Sprint or Channel has been created, and after adding Mission Blocks and Activities, we can start configuring the Multi-language through Manage Translations.
It is necessary to have created this minimum content previously, otherwise the platform will not allow access to the feature, returning the error: You must add mission block and activity. All Mission Blocks must have at least one Activity.
How to access Manage Translations?
The tool Manage Translations can be found within the content editor. In the general list of Sprints or Channels, we look for the one we want to translate, and click on the three dots menu. Select the option:
- Compose, in the case of a Sprint.
- Manage content, in the case of a Channel.
Go to the Compose section, and click again on the three-dot menu that is at the top right of the screen, next to our user icon. Here we will see the Manage translations option, which we will use from now on to work with this feature.
How does Manage Translations work?
Clicking on this option displays a side menu with the options of this tool, divided into different fields:
- Translation tabs: at the top we see a bar with a series of tabs, representing the languages we have chosen for that Sprint or Channel. At the beginning there will be a single tab, the one for the default language we have chosen. As we add new translations, they will appear in new tabs that will take us to the translation tab of each one of them.
- Header tab: in the central part of the screen we will see a list with all the content sections: in the case of the Sprint we will see the Mission Blocks and Activities; and in a Channel, the Stages. Each section contains its title and description, including the Sprint or Channel title itself. This is where we can translate those headings; manually, by typing in each field; or automatically as we will see in the section about the Import and Export buttons.
- Button (Add translation): at the bottom right we find the button to add a new language or translation. Clicking on it displays a new side menu with all the available languages:
Each language has a check box to be checked if we want to add it to the list of available languages, several languages can be selected at the same time. At the top is the Based on tab, where we will choose from which of the available languages we will start the new translation. Once selected, click on Add to save the changes.
- Import and Export buttons: if we access through the Translation tabs to one of the languages other than the default one (first in the list), we see that three new buttons appear on the Header Tab. Two of them, Import and Export, are used to manage (download and upload) the files for automatic translation. These XLIFF text files contain all the titles and descriptions of the Sprint or Channel, plus a series of metadata, and can be processed by other applications.
To obtain this file with all the content of a Sprint or Channel, we click on the Export button, and it will be automatically downloaded to our computer. Once we have processed and translated it, we go back to the Instance and click on Import. A new side menu will display to select and upload the file.
The loading process takes a few moments. If it is successful, when you return to the Header Tab you will see the contents updated to the new language. If you receive the message:Error when trying to upload the file, check that the file format is correct.
- Delete Language button: the third of the buttons found in the secondary languages is the Delete button, which is used to delete any of the translations that have been added to the Sprint or Channel. Simply click on it and confirm the action, the language tab will disappear from the list and the language will no longer be available to the student.
- Save button: located in the upper left corner of the screen.
When we finish configuring the languages, we must click on it in order not to lose the changes we have made. If we have made a mistake and want to return to the previous state, we just have to close the menu without saving the changes, by clicking on the X in the upper left corner of the menu.